ABOUT THE EXHIBITION
- This is the seventh annual Hornsby Young Artists Competition – presented by Hornsby Art Society to encourage our next generation of local artists. To stage this event, we are very grateful to our ongoing major sponsor, Sydney Art School; our framing sponsor, Jadele Framing and Fire Horse Design.
- This competition is for works on paper. Mediums used may include paint (watercolour, acrylic, oil etc) together with charcoal, pencil, crayon, collage or mixed media. Photographs are not accepted unless submitted as part of a collage or mixed media, and to a maximum of 50% of the total work only. All works should consider the 2020 theme of “Space.”
- For all artists in the first three age categories (5 – 7 years; 8 – 11 years and 12 -15 years) all works must be presented on an A3 sheet (297mm x 420mm), unframed and unmounted.
- For artists in the older age category, 16 – 18 years, we have provided greater options. Your work may be up to 120cm in any direction and must be presented framed or suitably mounted. Framed artworks must be properly framed and hung by D rings and there must be no cup hooks, screw eyes or protruding metal or wire. No wet paintings will be accepted. Works on stretched canvases need not be framed, but must be presented in a neat, professional manner, with finished edges and no staples visible.
ENTRY FEE PAYMENT
Entry Fee for this Exhibition is $25 per work entered and commission of 25% is payable for any work sold. Works not intended for sale should be marked as ‘NFS.’ All artists should be aware that not all entries are able to be hung or displayed due to the size of the exhibition and that no refund will be provided for works not displayed.
- Entries Close – Friday 27 March 2020 We must receive your Entry Form and payment by this date. You can pay by cash, cheque, direct deposit or credit card. Payments should be posted to our PO Box on the Entry Form. For Credit Card Payments, please email your entry and call 9476 8869 for payment. Bank Details for direct deposit are on the Entry Form
- Drop off of works – Friday 27 March, 9am – 12 noon and Sunday 29 March, 4pm – 6pm Please note that any works not received by the final drop off of 6pm on Sunday 29 March will be ineligible to be considered, even if payment has been received. Works need to be dropped off to Wallarobba Arts and Cultural Centre, 25 Edgeworth David Avenue, Hornsby.
- Exhibition Dates – Tuesday 31 March – Thursday 9 April
- Opening Night – Friday 3 April, from 6:30pm. We understand many artists will come along to the Opening Night with their families, including younger siblings; with this in mind the short Award Ceremony will commence promptly at 7pm. We encourage all artists and their families to attend.
- Pick up of Works – Thursday 9 April 3pm – 6pm Please note we cannot store works and any uncollected works will be disposed of if not collected within one week, unless prior arrangements have been made.
THE THEME ‘SPACE’
Each year our competition has provided entrants with a theme to focus upon. Past themes have included “Self Portrait or My Neighbourhood;” “Colour,” “Light,” “In My World,” “My Hero” and “Nature.” For 2020 we ask young artists to focus on space and all of the possibilities this presents. This could mean the planets, our earth, the solar system, space travel, astronauts or the myriad of inventions that have been made for space travel that have great uses on earth – such as LEDs, memory foam, foil blankets, scratch resistant lens and freeze dried food. (Source; NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
- We’ve designed this competition to make it easy and inexpensive for young artists and their families to enter. For all artists under fifteen years, in the first three age categories (5 – 7 years; 8 – 11 years and 12 -15 years) works do not need to be framed or mounted: all works must be simply presented on an A3 sheet (297mm x 420mm), unframed and unmounted.
- Mounting of entries will be undertaken by HAS and our sponsor, Jadele Framing, as part of your entry fee and to ensure the competition has a uniform, professional look. Works are mounted and wrapped in archive quality plastic for display, which will be retained by entrants at the end of the exhibition. Artists will be able to easily frame these works after the competition using these mounts provided. Jadele Framing also offer modestly priced frames to suit these mounts and these are available at the exhibition for purchase.
- For artists in the older age category, 16 – 18 years we have provided greater options. We know you may already have suitably framed or mounted work or works that are not in the A3 size format.
- To enter this category your work must conform to a maximum of 120cm in any direction and must be presented framed or suitably mounted. Framed artworks must be properly framed and hung by D rings and there must be no cup hooks, screw eyes or protruding metal or wire. No wet paintings will be accepted. Works on stretched canvases need not be framed, but must be presented in a neat, professional manner, with finished edges and no staples visible.
- Prizes are awarded solely at the discretion of the independent Judge and the Judge’s decision is final. Prizes across the competition may include cash, vouchers for art supplies, terms of lessons with Sydney Art School, and/or membership of the Hornsby Art Society.
SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES & PAYMENT
- Applications close on Friday 27 March 2020.
- Payments can be made by Cheque (mailed); by Credit Card (by phone) or by Direct Deposit to Westpac Hornsby Account BSB 032-285 Account No. 184662 Hornsby Art Society Inc